Tuesday, March 22, 2011

One Skillet Lasagna

I never used to like lasagna, and I couldn't figure out why. I love pasta. I love red sauce. So what's the deal with lasagna. Then I finally figured out that it's because I don't like the cheese on top. I don't like cheese when it's been baked and starts to brown and you pick it up and like the whole thing comes with it. ICK! (Although it doesn't bother me with pizza?? Man I am a strange duck!)

Then, I found a recipe from The Pioneer Woman. It is FULL of cheese, however its all under the sauce. Brilliant!! I love lasagna now! It's so cheesy and melty and good. There are a few things I do differently, but you get the basics. It. Is. So. Good!

I will admit, that I am a lasagna cheater. I almost always use oven ready noodles. Why? Because I was interested once and tried it and found that I couldn't really tell the difference, so why not save me a step. Anyhoo.... I found a recipe for One Skillet Lasagna. It is a faster version of lasagna and you only dirty one pan. Whooo hooo! The recipe specifically recommends to NOT use oven ready noodles, but I did because that is all I had. I thought it turned out just fine, and everyone wanted seconds!

One Skillet Lasagna

oil for saute
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1/2 t. salt
1 lb. ground hamburger (or any meat of your choosing)
10 lasagna noodles broken into pieces (uncooked)
3 cans of whole tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 1/2 t basil
1 1/2 t. oregano
pepper to taste
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. Ricotta cheese

Place tomatoes in a blender and pulse for a few seconds.
Heat oil. Add onion and salt, satue until softened. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Add meat and brown. (I recommend using lean meat, so that no draining is necessary so you don't lose all that yummy goodness.)

After meat is browned, place broken noodles on top. Pour tomatoes on top. Add basil, oregano and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minuets or so until noodles are cooked. Add mossarella and Parmesan cheese. Stir gently until melted. Add ricotta cover to let it melt. Serve and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment